You must pay attention to empathy – 2017 Dell EMC World conference

At a breakout session during the 2017 Dell EMC World conference on Tuesday, company leaders outlined key takeaways for businesses pursuing DevOps. Kaiser and Roche offered seven key lessons that businesses must learn when engaging with DeVops:

DevOps was explained as:

What is DevOps?

For starters, a business must define DevOps as a concept, and how they will utilize its principles in their organization. Roche said that it is important to keep clear communication and get everyone on the same wavelength so the team can be unified in its mission.

Instead of measuring vanity statistics like the number of lines of code or number of commits, Roche said DevOps practitioners should focus on users and measure the effect that DevOps has on building the team up. “At its heart, DevOps is a cultural movement,”

Why DevOps?

A key lesson for organisations to learn is to be able to understand and explain why they want to pursue DevOps, because it won’t be an easy ride. “DevOps is anything but comfortable,” Kaiser said.

Implementing change will require a cultural shift in that everyone becomes responsible for quality, Kaiser said. DevOps teams must “share context” and have empathy for one another, regardless of what aspect of the business they represent.

Kaiser stated that ‘The team is the glue behind your DevOps deployment. Because of this, team leaders must focus on empathy, feedback, and feelings. Empathy helps team members understand where their coworkers are coming from. Feedback helps identify problems and celebrate success. Focusing on feelings helps to build trust and dependability within the team.’

As someone who has lived and breathed the effects of empathy, both in optimising my own empathic abilities and receiving others strong levels of empathic communication. But, also in analysing what gets in the way of my empathic abilities and the harm that can be done by not receiving empathic communication, it is little wonder it is now the focus of my work.

Kaiser is correct in his analysis when discussing DevOps in saying it is ‘anything but comfortable’. Understanding and developing empathy in itself, in often anything but comfortable, as it takes uncovering and being aware of our biases, how we label and what we carry around emotionally – and oh yes we may all cover it really well and carry on like we are always fine, but we are all carrying around emotional stresses and challenges.

Just the fact that the biggest killer in the of UK middle-aged men is suicide and that we are having to face up to the mental health crisis we now have in this country, creating empathy in the workplace, from leader and manager to staff, staff to leader and manager and colleague to colleague, is an investment that repays over and over again, The return on investment can been seen and felt (yes felt being one of the most important words)  in people’s psychological well-being, physical well-being, time off work and sickness, how creative and insightful they are, how valued they feel, how supported and empowered to support others they become.  This is before you even think of the value and return in investment to the customer service aspect.

screenshot-11I see this over and over again when I do training and discuss empathy, biases and emotional awareness and people’s barriers start to come down.  Developing empathy is not a comfortable route and that’s why it is pushed aside, but when the biggest business researchers across the world rate it as the number one competency of excellent leadership, it’s time to have its presence felt!

For further information on training your team in empathy please email me on carolyn@cc-et.co.uk or visit my website and see some of my testimonials: www.empathytrainingltd.com.uk   Follow me on twitter @carolynccet

using empathy in leadership

A Journey in Leadership Using Empathy

Description: This one-day course examines, in a unique, thought-provoking and human way, the important role empathy and emotional awareness plays in inclusive leadership, staff well-being and productivity, and what erodes it. Delegates will develop an understanding of the psychology of emotionally focused thinking and outcomes and learn essential skills to understand and implement effective relationship focused work, underpinned with empathy and emotional development.

A Journey Through Communication Using Empathy

A Journey Through Communication Using Empathy

Description: A one-day course to develop a deeper level of communication to approach difficult and sensitive conversations with other people with empathy. Delegates will develop psychological understanding and essential skills to best communicate with compassion, self-awareness and confidence.

CPD reflection certificate of attendance for all courses.

Original new source: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/7-critical-lessons-businesses-learn-when-implementing-devops/

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s