Rob Behrens,Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman, speaking on BBC Breakfast News today (17th August, 2017), about complaints said:
“Hospitals need to listen and respond to concerns before that become complaints. Unfortunately practices in the NHS are not consistent in this way”.
He went on to say:
“When things go wrong it is incredibly important to listen to those concerned”.
Following the PHSO research on elderly people in hospital and raising concerns, he said:
“Hospitals have to find a way to enable nurses, who do a tremendous job for the NHS, and clinicians to listen carefully to patients so they can act when something is a concern rather than a complaint.”
Finally he said: “I am determined to there will be a change but not confident, on the basis of past record, that progress is going to be quick. It is incumbent upon hospitals, regulators and the Ombudsman to work together to make sure that situation changes quickly”.
Original source (1 hr, 12 minutes in) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0916hl3/breakfast-17082017#
For support to reach these objectives, this thought-provoking and empowering course: A Journey Through Complaints Using Empathy is running on 26th October at Stevenage and 5th December, Milton Keynes. Click on the title for full details of the day.
A selection of comments from the feedback forms:
- Amazing, Loved it, A fascinating insight. Would highly recommend
- Very informative and thought-provoking. Very relevant as well
- I found it a really powerful session, which made me reflect on how processes and systems can block empathy and also how we sometimes think we are listening to someone but we really are not
- Very powerful message – will always remember
- I hung onto every word as it was relevant, important and well presented. The points touched upon will help me as I support individuals and families to obtain answers to questions regarding care and treatment of their loved ones.
- Very different with real impact
- Thoughtful personal experiences delivered sensitively
- Very powerful, emotive day. Very well presented and delivered professionally
- Content was meaningful as it was real
- Truly one of the best training days I have ever attended that has had a deep impact on me and how I view things
- The most insightful, engaging and inspirational communications course I have ever attended
- Very thought-provoking with strong links to my own work. The use of such moving and unique experience was enhanced by uplifting and humorous content